The Theatre Royal, Dumfries was built in 1792 and is the oldest working theatre in Scotland. The Theatre is owned by the Guild of Players who bought it in 1959, thereby saving it from demolition. It is run on a voluntary basis by the members of the Guild of Players and is funded entirely by Guild membership subscriptions, and by Box Office receipts. It does not currently receive any grant-aid towards running costs. In addition it is used extensively as a venue for Dumfries and Galloway Arts Festival, and for Dumfries Music Festival and the Dumfries Musical Theatre Company.
The Guild’s aim is to promote the tradition of live theatre in Dumfries, for the enjoyment of members and the public alike. It is the venue for the Guild of Players’ own productions and for performances from visiting companies.